In school districts across the country, students face health and other issues that cause them to miss school for weeks and sometimes months. Regardless of the time they are not able to physically attend their school, continuing with their education is essential.
When it comes to implementing and participating in a homebound education or alternative learning program, school districts and students face multiple challenges.
Challenges for Schools and Districts
- Students enroll at all times during the year, and it is difficult to estimate how long they will be in the program.
- Scheduling teacher visits and teleconferencing calls around students’ unpredictable schedules can be problematic.
- These programs can be expensive to operate and difficult to staff, especially on the high school level where teachers certified in each subject are required.
Challenges for Students
- Schedules are unpredictable due to doctors’ visits, rehabilitation sessions, and other health appointments.
- Fatigue and illness impact when students are able complete schoolwork.
- Students can become disengaged and lose motivation when they spend time away from school and, as a result, they often fall behind and risk not graduating or passing courses.
How K¹² Can Help
Our fully integrated online Homebound Education Program seamlessly combines the most extensive online course catalog in the K–12 industry; engaging technology that can be accessed anywhere, anytime; and a full range of services tailored to the unique needs of each homebound student.